View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:35 PM
TL;DR

Yeah even if you wanted additional East/west streets, I’m not sure there’s anything to connect to between Roosevelt and 15th. Within the site itself, the park allows for continuous connectivity from east to west, at least for pedestrians.

I think the traffic generated by this new development is entirely contingent on how auto-oriented Related chooses to go. The fact they are willing to spend a 9-digit sum on a new subway station suggests they are serious about transit orientation and low parking ratios.

Obviously there will still be Loop-bound cut-through traffic on Wells through the site, but I don’t see a lot of traffic on the other streets that would justify a full grid or wide collector streets. Compare to Lakeshore East, the internal roads are lightly used because the heavy traffic is routed around the perimeter on Wacker/LSD/Randolph/Columbus. The internal streets don’t form useful through routes, so they only serve vehicles with origins/destinations inside the site. There is a similar situation at the 78 with Clark, 18th, Roosevelt, and the new Wells.