View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Exactly! The myth of endless, unlimited growth/expansion seems to blindly drive so many corporations.

Doesn't anyone understand the law of diminishing returns anymore?
And the reason I am so critical of neoliberal capitalism is because those drivers for endless growth is its entire basis. When that growth is interrupted, there are major consequences, as we have seen during the 2008 credit crisis, at the beginning of the pandemic when everything shut down, and now recently as we try to re-open the global economy with all the problems with neoliberal capitalism being left unaddressed (just-in-time supply chains, outsourcing of critical goods and resources, energy interdependence, national banks and government policies favouring private interests over public, privatization of public services and social welfare, soaring housing and education costs, erosion of workers rights, etc). I know not everyone thinks like me but it does not make sense at all to both expect the economy to be able to continue growing, and for the earth and society to handle it. I am in tech and it is insane how many ridiculous ideas I hear about that make no practical sense or fail to address any real human need, simply because of this naive mentality (i.e. the metaverse, anything to do with crypto, etc). We really do need to slow down and choose a different path if we want to even maintain our current standard of living and that starts with putting human needs above the desire to continuously make profits for a few.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jul 27, 2022 at 7:11 PM.