View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 3:21 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
I highly doubt any design would include surface parking, whether in the park or in the neighborhood.

Would there be this much objection to a new pool facility or other recreational building built in the park which might have an even larger foot print?

What if the roof of the library was landscaped and integrated into the park?
If you believe they will not build surface parking, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Nobody builds structured parking in Chicago unless they absolutely have to, or they have a big fat check of taxpayer money. Land values here just aren't high enough to justify underground parking. U of C has built garages, but the land is much, much scarcer on their side of the park and the demand for parking far outstrips the available open land.

The others are tricky questions - you can bet your ass that I would object to a colossal suburban-style tilt-up fieldhouse being built in a Chicago park. The Ping Tom Park fieldhouse is dangerously close but at least it is modestly-scaled. This kind of building embarrasses and cheapens our city, and belongs in industrial parks only. A green roof is a nice idea but there are serious questions about the long-term sustainability of these.