View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 6:33 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Unhappy Non-stop bummers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWR View Post

Nor for me... if you're already "here".
I'm so looking forward to having some uplifting news from at least one sector of the economy versus the constant stream of bad news affecting seemingly everything. Just think of what we have seen across the Forum in the last year and a half--a downward trend has been turning into a virtual free fall off of a cliff for our favorite projects, developments and places.

One of the worst things for me is what has been happening to higher education in California. In addition to the UC system, the CSU is once again being devastated and the CCC is as well. The library construction and renovation project at SF State has been halted which will add millions of dollars to the cost of eventual completion. Hundreds of other projects across the system and state have also been halted. The CSU is turning away 10,000 eligible applicants next year; the CCC will also limit enrollment along with UC, meaning that many qualified students will be denied the opportunity for post high school education. The poor and middle class will, of course, be adversely affected.

We need to get with it, first and foremost by eliminating the requirement of a two-thirds majority to pass a budget in each chamber of our legislature. We are one of the only states that requires this and the entire process is being held hostage as a result.