View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 1:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Ironbound is great, but everything North of Downtown needs to gentrify.

I hardly see gentrification as the answer to everything. Newark has a variety of neighborhoods, and there are stable neighborhoods north of Downtown. But in either case, I don't see wiping out whole neighborhoods as a model any city should try to adapt.

Newark has been on a steady climb as far as development goes. It's not on par with Jersey City because it's further out, and not in the shadow of Manhattan (Don't think for a second JC would be building the large residential buildings it's building today were it not for its close proximity to Manhattan). Reverse the location of the two cities, and you would find it was Newark with the many waterfront developments and JC lagging behind.

But as I was saying earlier, transportation is key. Newark has the airport and direct rail service with Penn Station. Prudential has been making an investment on Newark's future as well as other developers and Rutgers. But still, Newark will not fully recover without an investement in jobs, something that can happen with the right incentives - just as it did in Jersey City.

http://inhabitat.com/nyc/panasonic-n...asonic-newark/

I also think NJ Transit shoudl run trains later than it does. PATH runs essentially like the subways, 24 hours. As far as this development goes, it will probably be a multy tower (2 or 3) development.

This is an image of a building that was being proposed on the next lot before everything fell in almost a decade ago...

Another potential development from the last decade, also near the train station...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.