View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
What about the West Loop do you prefer over River North?

The West Loop had never had the pressure of tourism that River North has had, nor did it have the River and Michigan Avenue, not easy access to the North Side. All of that put completely different pressures on the West Loop development cycles than River North had. Timing also has had a lot to do with what has been developed.

I like the West Loop okay, but as far as convenience and living highly urban and car-free, I'll still pick River North over the West Loop.
As of today I agree. The West Loop has a lot of potential with the towers that are being built/proposed, the pattern of development, and the possibility of a new metra/CTA stop at Halsted/Lake. But right now River North's level of density and activity make it the more desirable neighborhood from an urban living standpoint.

The misstep/downside of RN are some of the hideous podiums that pock mark the neighborhood and detract from some of the street level experience on some blocks--which as you said is really just due to timing. West Loop is being developed during an era where pedestrian experience takes precedence over driver experience.