View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 3:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I can't figure out why Cuomo decided to basically re-announce the Penn South component of Amtrak's Gateway plan and add another track. NY's love affair with enormously expensive stub terminals is totally irrational. With no new Hudson tunnel to serve it the entire plan is worse than worthless.

If you're going to spend a few billion bucks pick a NJT line or two to outfit with LIRR power and just dig a tunnel from Penn to the East Side Access so people can actually reach east midtown which is where they want to go. Through run the services on both sides of Manhattan to boost capacity.

The new tunnel component is gonna have to happen anyway, but it makes no sense to increase tunnel capacity without anywhere for the trains to go. The two plans go hand in hand, which is why the southern expansion has been on the board for years.

But I don’t understand. You do nothing, people complain. Announce plans to address the issue, they still complain. You aren’t gonna please all critics, which is why I hope Cuomo moves ahead with this plan like Moses.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.