View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

As a result, the entire section of Milwaukee between Armitage and California continues to be a dead zone. Moreno struck because the owner of the theater had almost 10 different properties along that stretch purchased or under contract in anticipation of a massive redevelopment of that area. He actually personally called various brokers and property owners demanding they cancel their contract with the owner and made threats against them if they refused. Talk about a complete overstepping of bounds, frankly I'd sue Moreno if I were Carranza for tortious interference in a contract which would be an open and shut lawsuit if he go affidavits from all the people the alderman tried to intimidate. If he won such a case I'd be willing to bet it would catch the Fed's attention as tortious interference by a politician is usually accompanied by other types of criminally punishable corruption.
I have no love for Proco and if you want to stop by some time we can get a beer and grind our axes. But, in my role as a NIMBY, I have be able to chew him out from time to time and I prefer not to spend all my ammo on an open forum.

That being said, the real reason it is a dead zone is that it is all -1 zoning.
In today's world, that pretty much kills a residential component. Consequently that stretch missed out on the boom in the residential market. The piece from Cal to Belmont is all -2s and -3s.

Most of Milwaukee beyond there is -1. Back in the day that was intended for a small 2 story mixed use. But merchants don't live above their stores any more, so now it's strip malls.

I am not sure why the Logan Sq stretch got a bump. My guess is that when the El terminus was at Wrightwood and the station was also the end of double decker motorcoach lines on Kedzie and Logan Blvds. they considered it a TOD and juiced the density.