View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 6:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
UMTA predated Amtrak. It was just for rapid transit systems. It's what built most of the Washington Metro, Miami Metrorail, Baltimore subway, MARTA, Buffalo's light rail subway, and...the never-used sections of the Second Ave. subway.
yeah i know and as i said it was worth the same in today's dollars as just the ne region is getting now, because actually the full national public transit/rail total is $105B, so a little more than half of that is earmarked for around here. as these are all payer states in the ne, that's refreshing to hear for a change.

this is really a big deal and is not counting some of the already funded gateway work i guess. it's also rather different from 1970 because so much more upgrading to older systems is needed now vs new starts back in 1970 (ie., the ne corridor and amtrak), but hopefully some $ will lead to new rail services (ie., second avenue, new gateway tunnels).

anyway, this is the nyc transit thread, not the new national infrastructure plan thread. i would like to catch up with what other areas are getting and comparisons to umta and other worldwide major transit investments on their own threads. i'm sure we will get them.