View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 2:37 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I believe this was a considered routing of the AirTrain and the "community" had concerns about it impacting the "scenic nature" of the GCP...and I wish that was a joke. Though the terminal configuration at Ditmars constrains capacity already on the N/W so you might not actually loose any service if you did this depending on what kind of headways are desired out of the LGA branch. The Broadway line should be able to absorb the service, especially if CBTC is installed.
I am sympathetic to the idea that many of Robert Moses' parkways were intended to be scenic, and many in fact remain scenic and should be kept that way (Henry Hudson, etc)... but GCP ain't one of them, at least not west of the airport. The part that is arguably scenic is the part with views of Flushing Bay, but the AirTrain plan would have ruined those views!

It is not even functionally a parkway anymore, as trucks are allowed on the Triboro Bridge approach. It's basically the same as the Van Wyck through Jamaica, even the trench is the same width (~180ft).

Regardless, Gianaris is one of the leaders of said "community" so if he is truly open to an el above the GCP than that should go a long way toward quieting the opposition.

Last edited by ardecila; Oct 8, 2021 at 2:59 AM.