View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For many years, the CBC broadcast Three's Company every weekday in a time slot around 5 pm. For millions of Canadians of my generation, watching the show was a daily after school ritual.

I guess that's one way the CBC brought Canadians together with shared cultural experiences!
I can relate to this, I used to watch Three's Company when I was in elementary school. Even though I'm sure much of it went way over my head.

That is one thing that I suppose has changed since I was a kid in the 80s... back then, in the pre-specialty cable channel era, kids' shows were mostly limited to Saturday morning with a small smattering of kid stuff throughout the rest of the week. When I was a kid, I ended up watching stuff not meant for kids simply because there were no age-appropriate options most of the time. When I was under 10, I remember watching Knight Rider, The A-Team, shows like that. When my parents turned me loose at the video store, I remember picking stuff like Rambo movies, raunchy 80s comedies, etc. I remember watching wrestling which was somewhat kid-friendly in those years but even still not the greatest content.

By contrast, my kids have an endless array of kid content to stream on Netflix, Disney+, etc. Most of it is reasonably high quality even though some shows are so-so. I get usage reports for their profiles and I'm not sure that they ever see anything they aren't supposed to. Mostly cartoons and kid-oriented shows. My son is 8 and has a few favourite youtubers, but most of the stuff he watches on that platform is either pretty wholesome like Dude Perfect (sports trick shots and related antics) or just straight up sports content like NHL/WHL highlight reels.

I guess they don't have those shared experiences like us with the Three's Company, but they are definitely exposed to way less content that isn't meant for them.