View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 5:17 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Do riders transfer more in SF vs. Chicago? A lot of two-trip commutes maybe? And yeah, having part of your suburbs be a "separate" UA is helpful.
I think it's less about SFians transferring a lot, and more about Chicagoans transferring never. Just seems like the ridership in Chicago is overwhelmingly focused on rush-hour travel into the Loop. People generally don't transfer from Metra, they walk the last 1/2 mi to their office or ride private shuttles for more distant offices. They don't transfer from CTA because the Loop track and the 2 subways get everyone pretty close to their destination with multiple stations to exit. (This is changing as the CBD metastasizes in weird new directions, but the transit system hasn't caught up).

NYC has workplaces spread over a much larger area and 3-4 CBDs so most people have to change trains at least once. I'm not sure if an express-local is considered as 2 trips or not but that's also a factor.

I have no idea why SF is so high, I don't quite grasp where all the transfers are occurring.

Last edited by ardecila; Feb 14, 2022 at 5:38 AM.