View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Judging by the posts of some people here, obsessed about case rates of a virus that will be with us in perpetuity, there is clearly a lack of true deliberation happening. Those folks are not coming to terms with the reality that this is a condition with no end in sight.

At some point you really need to just stop counting and live your life. Life is too short.

In 1000 years, if humans are still around, Covid and it’s descendent variants will still be swimming amongst our population. The sooner you realize this the sooner the mental healing happens.
Naturally, you are missing the point. The point is do we want it to be like polio when I was a child and there were hospitals full of children in "iron lungs" or do we want it to be like now when polio is a rare condition mostly limited to the developing world because in the developed world most kids are vaccinated.

As with covid, I remember the time before there was a vaccine (which is perhaps where you are lacking--you don't remember all the pre-vaccine diseases I do). Every summer, swimming pools in major metros were closed and playgrounds and kids were sent home because of polio outbreaks. Those public health measures were all we had but they were taken. The only difference from covid is that covid is spread in more different environments and so more environments have to be shuttered when it is at high prevalence.

Quote:
Polio Once Caused Widespread Panic
In the late 1940s, polio outbreaks in the U.S. increased in frequency and size, disabling an average of more than 35,000 people each year. Parents were frightened to let their children go outside, especially in the summer when the virus seemed to peak. Travel and commerce between affected cities were sometimes restricted. Public health officials imposed quarantines (used to separate and restrict the movement of well people who may have been exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become ill) on homes and towns where polio cases were diagnosed.
https://www.cdc.gov/polio/what-is-polio/polio-us.html