View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Article from the BBC on a recent Oxfam report. As more data is processed, it's becoming clearer that lockdowns are actually beneficial to the wealthiest - at the expense of most everyone else: (so it should also come as little surprise that the same billionaire-owned media outlets are the ones continuing to push the pro-lockdown narrative)

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60015294
Before clicking on that article, I set for it a very low expectations bar: that it would at least give an explanation why.

It didn’t.

It also made it clear Elon Musk is skewing their data big time by having bet big on one of the best antidotes to global warming (i.e. transportation that doesn’t burn dead dinos) at the right moment. Not really pandemic-related; for pretty much the entire history of humanity, anyone who comes up with a solution to a previously great problem becomes extremely wealthy, it’s normal.

I was hoping the article would venture a plausible general explanation such as:

-Lockdowns force governments to shower citizens and businesses with gazillions of freshly-printed money they didn’t have;

-Which causes crazy inflation;

-Which means the people who already owned assets see those assets gain in value vs nominal currency; they’re now richer;

-Conversely, if you don’t have assets (“were poor”), then the only effect for you is that everything now costs significantly more than before; you’re clearly worse off.

Last edited by lio45; Jan 17, 2022 at 5:16 PM.