View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:53 PM

If money was no object, I'd move to a better home in a better neighbourhood of my city.

Toronto has its share of problems, but it's home. I grew up not far from here, most of my friends are here, most of my family is here, most of my memories are here, I know the city like the back of my hand and I feel like I belong here and am intrinsically invested in how the city grows.

I also have kids. When you have kids, not only do they grow up here and make friends and connections, but you also learn the ins and outs of what it takes to raise kids in your city. You know where the best sports camps are, or who offers the best swimming lessons. You know how to navigate the daycare system. You know which activities to take them to on a rainy day. There's a lot of acquired and "local" knowledge to raising kids in a certain city that you can't just swap out for another place without having to start from scratch.

A vacation home in a warm winter spot would be nice, but I'd more likely just AirBnB or VRBO a top of the line home in a different place every winter than buy a vacation home.