View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:13 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
It was actually created by a Portland organization, but yeah, local firm evolve ea is involved with the organization and behind all three certifications here. It's pretty much total bullshit.

It's equally as hilarious as when Etna was named the "World's Second Certified EcoDistrict"... the first being Millvale.
Very true, and thank you for providing that clarification. "EcoDistricts" is indeed the parent organization, and it is this Portland-based non-profit that officially created the certification. Evolve EA promotes it locally. I don't know the relationship / contract / partnership between them, beyond that. I'm guessing Evolve EA formed a connection with EcoDistricts and teamed up with them to find the certification that could be applied to local places like Millvale.

Christine Mondor was one of my architecture professors at CMU. She and her husband Marc co-founded and manage Evolve EA. They're leaders in the green infrastructure movement, and they are both doing good work with their firm and their outreach. I'm all for green investments & infrastructure. I used to live up in the hills overlooking Etna & Millvale & know both areas well. The boroughs are both changing, for the better overall, in my opinion. It's just the way it's all advertised that makes me smile a little. I don't think this certification is going to become the next LEED, LBC, or WELL, and it probably isn't intended to. It IS one more tool in the arsenal of responses to climate change.

Last edited by deja vu; Feb 23, 2021 at 6:41 PM.