View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
The Boyd is far from a "hulking eyesore." I agree that the yellow-painted, wheatpasted, graffitied plywood barricade is an eyesore (and an easily fixable one at that), but the building itself? Not even remotely.

I never bought the BS argument that the Boyd's "blight" was holding back development in the area, and I still don't. Aside from maybe UCity, this stretch is the hottest in the entire city. Despite this flurry of development, there remain many, many "hulking eyesores" on this stretch of Chestnut, but the Boyd is certainly not one of them.

Anyway, back to 1900 Chestnut...
Well, and also the burnt out/gutted piece under the Sam Eric sign that used to display films playing there when it was active. The Sam Eric sign, itself, is pretty unattractive in my view as well. As currently constituted, it is an eyesore. Regardless of whether the underlying building structure is or is not, and there were no plans to address the unappealing elements absent a full-scale renovation. I don't think that was a serious or primary factor holding back development on that stretch of Chestnut, but it's not something pleasant to view from the other properties there. Anyhow, as you say, back to 1900 Chestnut...