View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
just stopping by to say i really like above ground powerlines. they remind me of tokyo, and boy do i like tokyo.
I notice my rebuttal to one of the posters above has...understandably...been deleted. It was about the way so many endless discussions about dtla not having enough tall bldgs go on & on, & on, forever. Someone said my posts about power poles & parking lots go on & on too.....but my post above was only to change the subj of LA not having enough tall bldgs, on its hillsides too, to the subj of wanting to make the city's hoods look better.

To others, however, bldgs not being taller in LA is the number #1 issue. this is 'skyscraperpage' after all. Or that bldgs in dtla, whether they're full of tenants or not, need to be taller.

As for power poles, I would have said your take on them was sarcastic, but I came across this....

Quote:

Yoshinori Mizutani

The prolonged electricity outages that are occurring in Chiba, Japan thanks to Typhoon Faxai have renewed an age-old debate: whether or not to bury Japan’s utility poles and electric wires underground.

Toppled utility poles can not only cause damage to surrounding homes but they can knock out electricity, an issue that has been front-and-center in Japan recently. In a press conference, Japan’s new land minister told reporters that he wants to escalate the issue of undergrounding all of Japan’s utility poles and electric wires.

According to that government ministry, Japan ranks far behind other major cities in the East and West when it comes to undergrounding utility poles. In Tokyo, only 8% of utility poles are underground. In Osaka that number is 6%. Compare that to the mid-double digits of cities like Jakarta and Seoul. Hong Kong, London and Paris have buried 100% of their poles.

But one unexpected obstacle has been public support. As it turns out, the citizens of Japan simply don’t mind them. In fact, some even like them. A few years ago a pro-undergrounding group created a campaign to garner support. For their main visual they took Katsushika Hokusai’s iconic ukiyo-e print “Fine Wind, Clear Morning” (also known as Red Fuji) and added utility poles and power lines to show how ugly they are.

When released, the campaign had the opposite effect. The resounding response from the public was, in essence, “that looks great” or “what’s wrong with that?”

And clearly, power lines hold a very special place in the heart of the public. To remove them would mean even more than simply altering Japan’s urban and suburban landscape.

I'm fairly sure that if a lot of ppl like power lines, than alot of ppl in LA don't mind a lack of supertalls....or the city's historically lower density, non NYC-Chicago format....which is a longtime trend in the way LA has evolved.