View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw View Post
Regarding the S side from HP to McCormick between MLK and the Metra tracks, there was hardly any industrial use there, and the only "housing project" there is a very recent mixed income community.

As I said, I've walked through there a number of times, and if there is one area in Chicago that doesn't need more transit in the foreseeable future, it's that area. Sell the land between the Metra tracks and LSD south of MacCormack to a Hong Kong developer with unlimited zoning (my quiet little dream), and I'll change my mind.
Viva said "note: as an anecdote, if you take 3600 N vs 4300S (equivalent distance from the Loop), the population in a one-mile radius is 3 times higher on the northside." He didn't specify a western boundary. So let's just say the south branch of the river is the western boundary. There is plenty of former CHA and industrial land within those boundaries.

And I agree, the area between McCormick and HP doesn't need more transit (except for a stop at either 35th or 39th), but nearly everything HP and southward along that ROW does need more rapid transit. In order to get the more trains to Hyde Park, they have to pass through the McCormick area first. Get it?