View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 5:46 PM

lucas & his work have long been identified with the west coast, although more with SF & Nocal (lucas ranch) than with socal. But Lucas did attend USC, so his museum being in Expo park in the long run is more fitting. Still, when I think of all the things that govt officials in LA do that drive me nuts & they can be blamed for, I'd be towards them if they had bobbled the lucas museum...

Quote:
Editorial: The Lucas Museum is looking better and better. What an error Chicago made.

The museum also has announced acquisitions of work from Lucas Cranach the Elder, John Singer Sargent, Weshoyot Alvitre, Ernie Barnes, Jaime Hernandez and Cara Romero, adding to Lucas’ deep Norman Rockwell holdings. And it said it was all coming together slowly but surely for a 2025 opening (pushed back due to pandemic-era delays), with a park and gardens integrated into what will be an 11-acre campus. They’ve even planted 200 new trees.

To refresh your memory, Chicago turned down this museum in 2016 after an extensive campaign against it by the Chicago group known as Friends of the Parks, which later turned its ire and clout on the Obama Presidential Center, albeit with less success. Had that museum been part of our thinking on all that now, there would have been a tourist-drawing anchor already in place. Alas, the site is still a parking lot.

History will not be kind to this decision, made with a big dose of snobbery about a populist museum interested in stories and comic-book art that is predictably turning out to be more significant in terms of holdings than its detractors claimed. And, we’ll venture, in appeal.

meanwhile, LA is facing a major drought & this more kinetic feature of bunker hill has since been replaced with a lawn & plants. As I was watching this, from I believe the late 1980s, I grade dtla as better today...minus issues of crime & homelessness...than it was when the Water court had just opened. Still, I have mixed feelings about the fountain & pool no longer being in Cal plaza. But since the moat & fountains around the dwp bldg have been shut down, would the owner of the cal plaza done the same thing to the water court if it still had water?

Video Link