View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 2:22 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I love Malt Row, kudos to you and your craft, sir!

Perhaps my statement was poorly worded. My remark on making the area more difficult to drive to was more or less directed towards people who drive to Wrigley to catch a game or patronize the bars and restaurants in the immediate vicinity. That should be entirely out of the question and not an even option (the Cubs should close their green lot on Grace and develop it).

Obviously complete gridlock would be very counter productive to the immediate and surrounding neighborhoods, since bikes, buses and cabs/rideshare vehicles would be effectively ground to a halt. Clark, Irving, Halsted, etc are all major thoroughfares, and I have no problem with people driving through to go about their business. But if you're coming in from Naperville to watch the Cubs clobber the Cards, you better be on a train.
Thanks for the clarification on this, left of center! And thanks also for your kind words on my new-found profession!

I have no problem with blocking off the streets around Wrigley during game times themselves. My main issue is that it's just so difficult (read time-consuming) to get from Lakeview East anywhere westbound, at least up until around Western. Things DO generally open up a little west of Western, no doubt. If there were even one or two major streets that were more than 2 lane roads with massive numbers of stop signs as well as traffic lights, that would be nice. I guess Irving Park is probably the best of the bunch (since Fullerton, Diversey, Belmont, Addison, Montrose, Lawrence, Foster are all pretty much single-lane roads with stops every block or two, but it's still pretty terrible much of the time. Of course, if Chicago actually had better signal timing it would help as well, not having to stop literally at every single traffic signal as it turns red directly ahead of you every two blocks! Haha

Aaron (Glowrock)