View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I don’t mean to sound pretentious, but I wish everyone here gets to check out Brookline. It’s the best suburb in the country, or among the absolute top set. You get everything from 40,000+ pp sq mile, rail-serviced urban squares to pristine New England rural estates, dotted by Olmsted parks throughout, and all in under 7 sq miles. I wouldn’t call Brookline an edge city though. It’s a classic street car suburb. And I’m pretty sure Coolidge Corner and Chestnut Hill (Brookline) are closer to downtown than parts of Dorchester and Hyde Park (Boston).

Lowell is an edge city by function but not by intention. More through absorption or osmosis I guess. Either way, it’s an awesome place now. It’s also at an all-time population high.
Yeah, Brookline is great. If Boston didn't have such tiny municipal boundaries, it would absolutely make sense as a city neighborhood, as it really just feels like an extension of the City of Boston neighborhoods next to it.

If we're talking about great suburbs, I think Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights definitely deserved to be mentioned. They both have beautiful single family neighborhoods with mature trees, substantial historic multi-family districts, vibrant walkable business districts, and great transit access. Throw in a fairly diverse and progressive population and solid retail offerings, and it's really about the ideal suburban environment. This area is hands down where I'd choose to live in Cleveland, and it has to be among the best suburbs in the Midwest, if not the whole country.