View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 2:34 PM
She needs her space

Ew Miami can have this project. Personally, I think it is TOO big. All the towers look virtually the same, the podium is like 6 city blocks with no breaks, and I don't even much like the design. I'm going to be brutally honest here. I tend to dislike big urban master-planned infill projects, but this one is the worst.

The WTC site is done beautifully. Many different famous architects collaborated and the site has meaning and connects what was to what will be.

Atlantic Station in Atlanta is one of my least favorite projects - ever - because I believe it took away focus from Midtown, my own neighborhood (I am biased here), but it was phased with varied architecture and street context. It also did a good job harking back to the massive steel mill that was there, Atlantic Steel (remnants of which are still all over at the shops and in public squares there).

Both of the above projects are very public friendly projects, granted one is horribly cookie cutter (AS) and the other one has limits to how much of the public can enjoy it at a time (WTC site).

This project, the Genting Project, is all about gambling, luxury, and tourism. It does not address the street. It does not directly benefit residents of Miami by catering to their needs. It is not a "public"project or community. It is horribly massed, poorly designed, and simply too large. I don't like one aspect of it. I do like Brickell Citi Centre, however, for all of the opposite reasons I don't like the Genting shit.