View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:25 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I don't see any point in vaccination if you can't live you life, and that's exactly seems to be Canada's problem. You guys literally have the shittiest leadership in the developed world (although not as bad as Japan, I guess, which got into the vaccine game super late).

Yes and no. Healthcare is under provincial jurisdiction in Canada, which means that most COVID measures are imposed by provincial governments - and different provinces have had very different approaches with different outcomes. Some, like Ontario & Quebec's, have been terrible (draconian lockdowns, yet still had high death rates because they were poorly targeted); while others like BC’s, have been excellent (minimal health measures imposed, yet still had low case rates because they actually "followed the science"). Others, like Alberta & Saskatchewan, took a more hands-off American-style approach (few restrictions, but higher cases loads), while the Atlantic provinces basically achieved zero-COVID by hermetically sealing themselves off from the rest of the world.

The federal government for their part, has some hits (vaccine procurement, income supports) and misses (too slow to close the borders in spring 2020, too slow to reopen the borders in summer 2021).

Considering we now have one of the highest vaccination rates in the world and are either fully or mostly reopened (varying by province, as mentioned earlier) though, I’d say we haven’t done too bad. Except for Ontario’s government, which has been truly terrible in every possible way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
In the US, now, some Governors (particularly in States like Illinois) are sounding the alarm that .....................GASP.............................positive case rates are rising!!!

"We might have to bring mitigations back!!!" says fuckface JB Pritzker

Sounds like an authoritarian hellhole.

Last edited by MonkeyRonin; Jul 21, 2021 at 2:45 PM.