View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 4:06 PM
somewhere in-between

Escanaba -

Here's another big one for Escanaba. Proxima Management Group (Illinois-based) has been working since at least 2019 toward approvals to redevelop the old Delta County Jail site on a waterfront site in downtown (111 N 3rd St). The new jail opened at 2800 College Avenue in June 2019. From what I can discern so far, as of September 2020, the developer had all necessary approvals in-hand from the Escanaba BRA and City Council. but I can't tell if construction permits have been issued yet. More "digging" required.

Here's a link to the agenda and the minutes of the September 17, 2020 meeting where City Council approved the proposed amendments to the "City of Escanaba Brownfield Redevelopment Act 381 Plan" to include the Brownfield Redevelopment 381 Plan for the subject property. This effectively entitles the developer to millions of dollars worth of brownfield-eligible activities for the redevelopment efforts.

And here's the most recent news article that I've found so far, from September 2020, which summarizes the development plans -

Quote:
Escanaba hotel plan moves forward
Ilsa Matthews | Daily Press
September 11, 2020

...Promixa intends to build a $13 million hotel, a $5 million mixed-use retail and residential building, and a $5 million townhouse development on the site of the old jail and adjacent parcels, including the parcel occupied by the old Delta County Chamber of Commerce building...
Here are images that I extracted from the September 17, 2020 Meeting Agenda Packet. Not the most inspiring architecture for a new waterfront hotel & housing. But then again, these are pretty schematic. There's no imagery that I've seen for the townhouses yet. I believe these would be Phase 2, and the hotel & mixed-use buildings would be Phase 1 -

Site Location

Eligible Properties

Eligible Property Parcels

Phase 1 Preliminary Site Plan

Source: City of Escanaba

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 12, 2021 at 9:09 PM.