View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I think this design would be sexy anywhere else, but does it really fit with the ethos of Cubs fans or a lazy afternoon at a slow ballgame or the quintessential Wrigleyville experience (e.g. getting lost meandering in a hodgepodge of diverse establishments, people, and minor chaos, and the serendipitous happenings that ensue)? Even though elegant, this is kind of too corporate, monotonous, regimented, orderly. (I guess that means it feels like more of a football hotel than a baseball hotel?) In order to end up being a positive it will have to redefine the Wrigleyville experience in some elevated or forward way, distinguishing it more from the main drag of a college burg. I hope that happens successfully, and it certainly might, but at present I'm not really seeing how these near opposites are reconciled. Obviously the developments south of Addison have to be taken into consideration too.

One specific question: Is the corner being held by the oval in this render? That could inject a lot of energy into the intersection. I wonder if there is a render of that elevation.

This hotel is replacing a McDonalds and Surface lot, literally anything is better and will enhance whatever experience drunk cubs fans are looking for. Secondly, Baseball is a business, and the Cubs are one of the biggest businesses in the game, any nostalgia for a simpler time, is pure fantasy. Lastly, as a resident of the neighborhood, I could give a rats ass what suburban Cubs fans want in my neighborhood, this Hotel looks great and will be great for the area.