View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 9:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I have a very nice apt on the north side which has the Brown Line running out back, and that's another zinger. A lot of people who aren't used to city living are turned off by that; I'm having a pretty tough time filling that particular vacancy, that's for sure, which is too bad because it's a very nice apt in otherwise a great neighborhood.
the fact that the brown line runs down the alley in back of our building was a big reason why our condo was so affordable.

our realtor said to us, "move this unit 2 blocks from the el and it's easily $50k more. that means it's a good deal to you now, but you will have issues if/when you re-sell because a certain percentage of people will never even entertain the notion living right next to the el no matter how good of a deal it might be. it's an automatic deal-killer for many, like living near an airport or something like that. "

fortunately for us, we're planting some serious long-term roots where we're at, so re-sale value was not a high priority of ours.

besides, you notice the train noise for like the first two weeks and then your brain learns to just tune it out.

life in the big city. i love it!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 20, 2019 at 10:03 PM.