View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I would say Akron is more like a Fort Worth to Cleveland’s Dallas, or a St. Paul to Cleveland’s Minneapolis. Obviously, Akron is much more historically and currently substantial of a city than the other Cleveland area cities you mentioned... I would never argue otherwise.

Yet, the region is not on the level of a Dallas or Minneapolis, and Akron is probably not large enough in its own right to be considered a smaller “twin”. Cleveland’s sprawl grew to connect with Akron, not the other way around, and to such an extent that the Akron area has come to function as “suburban Cleveland”.

Based on the initial thread topic description, Akron has pretty much become a ring city of Cleveland. It’s not a knock on Akron, so don’t take it that way. It’s much more of a statement on the vast developed area of the NE Ohio region, of which Cleveland is the undisputed capital.

Ah, that’s what I figured (in general). Similarly, regarding the above, someone from the Akron area might often respond that they are from the “Cleveland area” or “northeast Ohio” or even just Cleveland.

It’s interesting that when he played for Cleveland, LeBron James was often referred to the hometown boy or some reference was made to his hometown being Cleveland.

Yet, he is from Akron.
Nobod(or very few people) from Akron...and I mean born in/or raised in Akron or the Akron area(south of the Turnpike) would say they are from Cleveland. Northeast Ohio, yes...but not Cleveland or "The Cleveland Area".

Concerning Lebron he's never claimed to be from Cleveland, that's been sportscasters or writers from outside the area. In fact here is story were Leborn makes that clear:

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2020/07/lebron-in-2010-were-not-from-cleveland-were-from-akron.html#:~:text=CLEVELAND%2C%20Ohio%20%E2%80%93%20Ten%20years%20ago,his%20talents%20to%20South%20Beach.&text=%22And%20he%20said%2C%20'We,We're%20from%20Akron.

The other thing is I don't believe most Clevelanders look at Akron as being a part of Cleveland. Do they look at Akron as being a part of the region and a neighbor, sure. However I don't think most look at Akron as some sort extention of Cleveland.

Ultimately I can see how you as an outsider may see or look at Akron as ring city of Cleveland, I'm just trying to explain to you how it is here on the ground, at least in Akron.