View Single Post
Old Posted May 28, 2023, 5:41 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Parts of South Brooklyn have been resistant to separated bike lanes, so Citibike will take a few years. Staten Island will probably take a decade. Citibike doesn't go past Prospect Park, for now.

Citibike, right now, is enormous, because it's such a dense network. I'm pretty sure it will be the largest network on earth once the current phase is completed. I think once this phase is done it will be something like 40,000 bikes and 2,000 stations, and ridership this spring has topped 130k daily, so you know the summer numbers will be good. But current phase isn't done till 2024, and it only covers like 20-25% of the city's geography (though more like 40% of the population).

I don't think the entire city will be covered for 20 years, at least. It will take time.
I just checked and it looks like Divvy basically covers all of Chicago now, though the most outlying areas seem to only have e-bikes and no normal bike docks right now. Obviously not as dense or well-used as NYC.

Apparently citywide coverage just happened this month: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...-50-wards.html

I guess O'Hare airport isn't covered though! Might be faster than the blue line some days... (probably not, looks like O'Hare is a good 2 hour bike ride from the loop...)

Also, surprising that Evanston is the only other municipality to join. Oak Park / Cicero/ Berwyn would make a lot of sense...

Last edited by SIGSEGV; May 28, 2023 at 5:53 AM. Reason: reduce image size