View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 9:30 PM

ADU's in suburbanized Sunbelt type cities are actually well suited to that particular environment. Many of these homes (especially in inner ring neighborhoods built before the 1980s when most homes were built on 8,000 to 12,000 square foot lots) have adequate space on either side of the primary dwelling to allow for access to the rear of the property for construction and ordinary egress purposes as well as probably having room for additional parking or driveway space. This is where the added density of ADU development could prove optimal. Sadly, these very same neighborhoods tend to be inhabited by homeowners who have little interest in (or demonstrate outright hostility towards) creating that additional density. The result is pared down ADU zoning with a host of built in obstacles similar to the fairly new rules created in Austin. I don't know that this will ever really change. Even new homeowners moving into these inner ring neighborhoods seem to quickly adopt that "I've got mine, Jack" mindset and embrace NIMBY attitudes.