View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Why not just extend a line of Metrorail to Miami Beach and have a streetcar/light rail line servicing the barrier islands from South Beach to the North? Metromover might be cheaper, but does it have the capacity to bring tons of people between Downtown and South Beach across the intercoastal?
A Metrorail extension to Miami Beach would have been the best option. However at the cost of $100 Million per mile and a bridge approaching South Beach the costs would quickly escalate far above $1 Billion for a 5 Mile extension.
As for capacity the current Metrobus system transports about 14,000 passengers a day between South Beach & downtown Miami.
Metromover already carries about 18,000 daily passengers in it's 4.4 Mile system so this shouldn't be too difficult capacity wise.

I want to applaud this announcement but we approved this Extension to the Beach in November 2002 when we approved the half cent Sales Tax for Transit. We've been waiting 20 YEARS for something that should have been done a long time ago and I honestly thought I would probably be dead before this would ever happen.