View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 7:56 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I agree that a full life doesn’t mean a long life. There are people who fit much more living into 60 years than those who live until 90. That’s exactly my point.

And 70ish may or may not be old. For my father it’s pretty old, but he’s been “old” since his early 60s. Others are sailing or running at least half marathons at that age. But most people continue to live well beyond the point, at whatever age it comes, that they cease truly living, because the medical field is focused on prolonging life at any cost.

The indicative measure I’ve taken to telling people is that I don’t want to live much past the point when I can properly ski (on challenging slopes, not the bunny hill). It’s not about skiing per se, but about having the physical capacity to be active, and it’s a real sport (i.e., not golf) that people can do in old age. When the time comes that I’m just not physically capable of that any more, just let me say my goodbyes.
I have a friend who is 75 and still skis probably better then 80% of the people on the slopes. Just not better than me at 51. My nephew's friend had a very bad ski accident at 18 and will never ski again.

And your brain changes and adapts as you age and with what life throws at you. You think now you can't live without skiing but that likely will change if you find you can't do it anymore. This is why people in terrible accidents who may now suffer from a handicap generally most often become happy and content again in their new reality. Their brain adapts.