View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:20 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
Now I really don't understand what you're saying! CBD's are a thing of the past. Stop thinking that the loop is the god-given business-only district of this city. THAT is bad planning! As long as new business districts are created along transit lines (that conveniently run through the Loop) it's really not that hard to imagine. Plus, the more business districts we have, the more walkable the city can become, and the more mixed-use and livable it can be. If anything, the 78 is an example of fantastic mixed-use planning. A university, apartment buildings, fitness centers, transit areas, and plenty of parkland in one walkable distance. What's not to like? And, I think we've already argued that there is plenty of transit infrastructure in place to support these office jobs. As was stated before, 2 stations (1 new and Roosevelt) make this project completely feasible transit wise. Do you have property in the Loop that is losing value? Is that why you such a vendetta against business districts outside the Loop? I promise you, it's really not bad planning.

CBD's are a thing of the past? Seems slightly hyperbolic, no?

I'm perfectly fine with appropriately-scaled office nodes and small districts outside of, or as an extension to, the core. What is very poor urban planning is to allow policy to concentrate millions of square feet of space in an area that is not at the nexus of citywide and regional transit - meaning accessible with one train ride to the broadest reach possible of the entire metro population......when there is ample capacity for further densification of office space within the core itself. That's just not planning.

And again, this is not a vendetta, I have zero vested interest of any type in the core/transit nexus zone. Mine is a position that is rooted in sound urban planning principles. Shouldn't be too difficult to follow.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Feb 20, 2020 at 10:59 PM.