View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 25, 2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I posted about this in the CE, but I think folks don't understand some of the ramifications of the "If someone tests positive, isolate for 10 days" policy you see being implemented right now. Given the nature of Omicron, a ton of people are testing positive for this, even if their illness is non-existent or very mild. Yet, these people are being sent home. Today we saw over 2,000 flights cancelled. That wasn't due to weather, and it most likely wasn't due to staff being sick enough they couldn't do their job. If I am wrong about that, feel free to show some data on how many absent airline workers are actually too sick to work, and it's not them being told to stay home because of positive test results.

This is happening in the service industry now too with restaurants/bars closing down.
This has been going on for a while over here. They called it the “pingdemic” (referring to the “ping” or text you get from the NHS informing you that you need to self-isolate).

That was just due to contact tracing, which was absurd. Fortunately they got rid of that for vaccinated people. I had always ignored the texts anyway, but restaurants and businesses were always short of people because some co-worker’s kid had a case at their school. It was ridiculous.

Two weeks or 10 days or 7 days has always been a guesstimate. Obviously people who get very sick can have virus in their system for months. Even those with weaker immune systems that aren’t hospitalized might have it for longer before their body can fully clear it. But it’s perfectly possible for people to have the virus for just a couple of days and then the immune system kills it. I have.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov