View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2013, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
What is Chicago planning? Not nearly enough

The downtown circulator system designed to move commuters from West Loop railroad stations to Michigan Avenue and other points east died in the '90s, Mr. DeVries points out; a West Loop transportation center intended to allow further expansion of downtown's office district is moribund; and hopes of extending the Chicago Transit Authority's Red Line south have been delayed in favor of far more limited initiatives like the budding Bus Rapid Transit network.

Read more: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...#ixzz2RnTKcERD
It's a shame this isn't being pursued. I've been observing Chicago from above on google maps, and I've always thought the growth of downtown towards the west was a no-brainer. There's the University of Illinois, Malcolm X College, the united center, etc. and Commuter rail/two CTA lines that service the area for crying out loud! The surface lots, around the united center, scream "Hudson Yards".

The same applies for the areas of the south side nearest to downtown. Much of the building stock in this area is still phenomenal (what's left of it), there's beautiful historic town homes, small apartment buildnigs and highrises. The areas between the University of Chicago and the Loop can and should be connected with proper infill on the empty lots. Considering its proximity to the loop and excellent transit access, I'm in shock as to why Chicago fails to see the opportunity. Chicago could easily triple the size of its core and become a much more dynamic, healthier and competitive city.

Last edited by Bronxwood; May 20, 2013 at 7:42 AM.