View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 12:31 AM

Rest in peace, Sidney Poitier (1927-2022). You were a great actor, and led the way in the 1960s for people of color in the film industry, in non-stereotypical and dignified roles. "Lilies of the Field" (1963) for which you won the Academy Award, is one of my favorite films, and will be played 100 years from now. You always feel good after watching it. Amen.

Also rest in peace Peter Bogdanovich (1939-2022). While your personal life had controversy, you made some great films. "The Last Picture Show" and "Paper Moon" are wonderful and will last forever.

And of course, rest in peace Betty White (1922-2021). You were a great comic actress who made us laugh and defied age stereotypes to the end. You were never "old".

-----

"You think of yourself as a colored man; I think of myself as a man"---Poitier talking to his father (who is opposed to his engagement to a white woman) in "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?" (1967). Also great performances by Spencer Tracy (in his last roll) and his real life love Kate Hepburn.
-----
Here is the full film version of "Lilies of the Field" from 1963, a wonderful tale where Homer Smith (Poitier, Academy Award performance) makes an unexpected and fateful detour in Arizona on his way to California. Watch, I won't tell you anymore. About 90 minutes, but worth every one & you will feel great at the end, Amen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9usfYeY5vU&pp=sAQB[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 9, 2022 at 8:58 PM.