View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:53 PM

I'm hoping that this will find a home near downtown Erie, where there is good access to public transportation, other academic resources, and the amenities to support a population of students in the daytime and evening hours. It makes the most sense to me.

Erie County Community College launches search for first home

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/ed...me/6507592002/

Some of the mentioned options?:

Edinboro University Porecco Center on West 38th St. in Millcreek Twp has long been mentioned as a possible community college campus, since it has the facilities already existing (which is a big plus). Though location is not central to the majority of the potential student population. This converted barn is the main classroom building. I doubt that PASSHE will want to part with this extensive piece of property though -- the former horse farm/estate is a very nice facility, and given their current financial woes, I can't see them parting with it for a cheap price.

Erie County Vo-Tech facility is out in the middle of nowhere in a rather rural part of Summit Township. I don't see how this makes sense for a college campus.

Villa Maria High School/Villa Maria College campus on West 8th St. in Millcreek Twp could be an attractive location. Existing facilities, an actual college campus setting, good transportation access, access to amenities. Though dealing with the Catholic Diocese...

Erie Business Center on West 9th St. in downtown Erie could be an ideal location given the existing facility for sale and central city location. Though I don't think the space is adequate, the building nor the property for expansion. There just doesn't seem to be enough room there.

Mercyhurst University-North East is a beautiful campus, with ample facilities, but simply too far away from the population of Erie's urbanized area. The distance alone would deter enrollment.

New construction options:

- surface parking lot at West 10th & Sassafras streets
- former Erie Central Mall building/surface lots (this is occupied, but I can't imagine that they actually use all that sq footage)
- surface lots around Lovell Place complex