View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 7:52 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
One thing that isn't being discussed (at least not here) is the fact that the Obamas don't WANT to be in Chicago again. They want to be in NYC, Valerie Jarrett (in more than a couple news outlets) is not-so-secretly pushing for them to relocate permanently to NYC, the oldest daughter wants to go to school in NYC, Obama himself is prepping for a post-Presidential job at the UN, so all signs are pointing to NYC for his Presidential Library, considering he has publicly stated they want to live wherever their oldest goes to college, and which is also where they want their library to be.

One or both of the Chicago library bids could have been absolutely flawless, and they will still lose to Columbia/NYC and their bid because it's just where the Obamas want to be, it's (unfortunately) that simple. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the double-talk, obfuscation and general 'huh??' manufactured confusion about Chicago's two 'flawed' library bids were nothing more than political ruse to soften the blow of not having the library in 'Obama's hometown'.
I'm really starting to think just the opposite from this conjecture. Its predictable that possibly losing out to NYC strikes out at our worst insecurities as a city. The "how can we possibly compete with what NYC can offer" syndrome.

I think frankly all this talk about a Chicago bid being on the ropes was a play to give the city and university maximum leverage in order to give the foundation all it could/would be asking for. As a way to say to the public "look, our city was at real risk of losing this library to NYC. If we aren't reasonable and give the foundation approximate carte blanche control then we lose this thing. So don't be an obstructionist and let us use eminent domain or do some land transfers if need be". Didn't the city also do something similar during the Olympic bid? It also gives the appearance of taking the other bids more seriously instead of this just being a shoe in for the UofC that it likely has been all along.

What sources are these that are reporting that they will end up wherever the eldest girl will go to school? She is still a junior for crying out loud. I read that she was thinking about Stanford was just as high on her list as any school. They gonna move to San Fran if she chooses Stanford or Berkeley? Also I would be shocked if for the first few years at least President Obama doesn't rack up tens of millions on the speaking circuit. That is hard to do while having a prime role at the UN.

Even if they did move to NYC I don't see it as being a death blow for a Chicago bid. In NYC his library would be a small fish in a big pond. In Chicago his library would be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. It certainly didn't dissuade the Clinton's from putting the library back in Arkansas. It would be a real break from Presidential tradition if the Obama's were to put the library in a place with such tepid links. A mere 3 year cup of coffee (2 years studying given he was a transfer) he had in NYC.

He also would want to emphasize his organizing roots and his teaching of constitutional law at UofC I would think. Not to mention Michelle's impressive resume at the UofC. Also Obama has a known quantity in who he is dealing with as Chicago Mayor and the local political scene. He knows some of the alderman still and knows many who probably sit on the UofC's board. Not to mention his oldest and deepest pockets (the Pritzkers etc.) are here.

Also the possibility of rejuvinating a community due to the library itself is much greater then if he were to plop it down in Harlem. A legacy he would no doubt love to have asked about him in 20 years if eastern Washington Park saw a rebirth. The changes and growth would be much notable given the dilapidated condition of the neighborhood while also the immediate neighborhood would be more orientated towards the library given the immediate area would largely be built anew.
--------------------------------

Todays news.......
Quote:
http://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-...pped-contender

Emanuel's push for Obama library — Hearings next week, South Shore park dropped as contender
Posted: 01/05/2015,

There will be two community hearings to solicit input sponsored by the Chicago Park District over the proposals, next Tuesday at 6 p.m. at the Hyde Park High School and next Wednesday at noon at the Washington Park Field House.
For the city to get long term rights to the land for the library and museum, there will have to be votes of the Chicago Park District Board and the City Council........

That the foundation went public last week with its concerns is a difference between friends – that can be rectified once the city gains control of the park district land........

The foundation going public with its concerns gives Emanuel — facing a mayoral primary on Feb. 24 — political cover for seeking park land, which could be controversial. The U. of C. never disclosed its intentions to seek park acres for the library to avoid public protest..........

Last edited by nomarandlee; Jan 5, 2015 at 9:51 PM.