View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I don't think it's very useful to compare depopulated Rust Belt cores in the U.S. to Toronto for this purpose. If the city of Detroit were anywhere close to its peak population then this analysis would show it to be a bit more dense than Toronto, which is presently at peak population.
I intended to compare Toronto only with those versions of Chicago, but then I was carried away and added up more comparisons. It's only an exercise, really.

But it's very clear how Canadian cities has became much denser. We see how Toronto is denser than old school Boston or Philadelphia, metro areas with roughly the same size. Dallas, half of the people on the same size.

What surprised me most on the list was actually Montreal, which is reputed to be sprawly for Canadian standards. On the first list, it's denser than much larger US metro areas. Montreal Island (2nd list), too. It contained half of Montreal metro area population and it's as dense as Philadelphia + some neighbouring communities in Delaware and Montgomery.

And Vancouver, no surprises: it only finds density matches when compared to the core of much larger metro areas.