View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
^It's amazing to me how polar opposites NYC and Toronto are when it comes to tear downs.

For new developments in NYC, anything that gets in the way gets torn down, no matter how beautiful or special. I've seen buildings torn down in NYC that would be the crown jewel, star of the show in many cities.

Meanwhile, Toronto seems to save EVERYTHING to incorporate into the new tower. Which in many cases is a good thing, and I wish NYC would learn a lesson from. But I'm sorry, does that 6 story Rogers building really need to be saved and incorporated for this development? Unless I'm missing something, seems like it definitely does not need to be preserved.
I think most local fans of brutalism consider this little 1970's office building designed John Parkin to be important.

Bear in mind that 3 facades are being saved, with an all new build inside.

UT

I'm not a huge fan of brutalism (we have some brutal brutalist buildings), except for the ManuLife Centre (aka BMO) down the street.

Link