View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Where in the US still has mandates? Even "terrible" Canada hasn't any any COVID restrictions since the early spring, minus some ridiculous border crossing rules which are wildly unpopular. The only place I still have to wear a mask is in Hospitals, which honestly sort of makes sense even if COVID weren't a thing. I've heard wayyyy to many stories of people picking up new health issues from hospitals..

The only outstanding COVID issue is WFH and it's impacts, but that's employment market related and not government policy.
You still have to wear a mask in Canadian airports. I flew from Toronto to Halifax and that was the first time I had a mask on since I had flown to the Cayman Islands in April, on the day the mask mandate was removed by a judge.

Even with the mandate in effect, a lot of people were only wearing the mask to go through the Canadian-equivalent TSA lines, and to board the plane, and if the flight attendants were making rounds. At least 25% of people were not wearing masks sitting around at gates, and no one was making an attempt to require a mask. Once you de-boarded the plane, almost everyone took their masks off immediately (which makes sense, because what are they going to do, kick you out of the airport you're leaving?). I didn't wear a mask for most of the time in the airport, and I didn't wear a mask most of the time on the plane, either.

It was pretty clear to me that most people were fatigued with masks, which has long been the case in the US. Pretty much everyone in Canada is ready to move on. If Canada renews mask mandates and vaccination+app border crossings, I think people are going to disregard them completely more and more openly. I already know of a few Canadians who crossed into the US, did not fill out the app coming back, and were let back in, so once word spreads that a Canadian citizen doesn't really need to fill that out, the app becomes obsolete.