View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:33 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I was just home in SW MB and have some observations regarding the provinces highways in that region.

To call some of them cow paths would be a discredit to cow paths. 5, 18, 23 are in terrible shape. Patch upon patch upon patch upon crumbling pavement is the norm and when there is a new patch it seems to take less than 2 or 3 days before that patch is crumbling again. These roads have been neglected for so long that only a major rebuild of the base will make them serviceable. I also went into ND a couple of times and their roads leading to and from the border are in great shape. Why is that? What could MB Highways dept learn from them?
It's simply that they haven't gotten to them yet. The hole that Manitoba started with in 2006 was enormous. If you compare highways 1, 2, 3, 5 (north of 3 and east of 83), 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 20 (south of Winnipegosis), 59, 75, 100, and 101 to what they were only a decade ago, the improvement in surface quality and safety in terms of pavement width is marked. Some like 18 and 23 (though it's certainly good from 75 - Swan Lake) were lower priorities, but hopefully will get work within the next few years. I would add 34 north of 23 to that list (the only part I've been on - can't speak to the part south of 23) - it's terrible.

There are very analogous situations in Saskatchewan (15 and 35 come to mind). I'd say the highways in the province are basically in identical shape. That is to say, they were generally poor, but are getting far better, even if it takes time.

Quote:
Finally why are there still stop lights on the TCH in Manitoba? Could they not do one every 10 years or so and get it all done by 2100?
I guess I shouldn't bitch too much, Alberta still has one east of Calgary and a couple in Medicine Hat, SK should be light free by 2019 and BC still have a bunch in Kamloops and Golden.

I would consider that to be a lower priority than other things that need to be done, even if I'd like to see them gone.