View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:30 PM
TL;DR

I watched a video someone kindly posted on Facebook. I thought it was clear that Curt Bailey was referring to the single-family detached houses fronting directly on 15th. Excavation for the station box would cut off front-door access for these homes even if the auto court remains unscathed, and the noise/vibration could be an issue so close to the work site. Plus if Related can tear them down, they don’t need to worry about shoring up these homes or preventing settlement issues. If they have reached deals for four of those homes, then that only leaves two remaining. It’s not even clear where the tunnel sits exactly, it may pass beneath some of those homes directly, assuming they sit on shallow foundations.

Interesting to note the congested conditions under Clark St. Presumably there has to be some path through the underground thicket, or the existing Red Line tunnel would not be able to traverse Clark either, so there must be a way to thread the needle for a pedestrian tunnel even if it is costly. After Wells-Wentworth opens, it may be possible to close off Clark in order to dig up the road and build such a connection without traffic.

I do agree with Carol Ross Barney, though, that placing the head house directly over the platforms (east of Clark) allows for more natural light, crime deterrent, and just a more pleasant design overall. However, if Clark is not tamed from its auto sewer nature, people will be reluctant to walk across it even to reach the Red Line.