View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:40 AM

H-E-B’s Central Market launches a ‘meatless butcher’

https://www.expressnews.com/business...d-17131865.php

There is no chicken in the chicken wings in the display case. They’re made from tofu, seitan, vegan chicken stock and garlic. There’s no beef in the brisket, either. No lamb in the kabobs. No pork in the chorizo or pepperoni.

H-E-B’s Central Market is one of the first grocery chains in the U.S., if not the first, to feature what it calls a “meatless butcher.” For now, the concept is limited to one of the chain’s 10 upscale stores, in south Austin. It debuted Friday.

In most respects it looks exactly like any other butcher counter: Burgers, briskets and tenders are neatly arranged in a glass case with several hair-netted employees at work behind it. But the new department distinguishes itself in that none of its offerings contain meat.

Central Market is responding to increasing demand for plant-based foods — seen in the popularity of products such as the Impossible Burger — and seeking to maintain its reputation as “a destination for things that you can’t find elsewhere, and especially things that we make,” said Phil Myers, the chain’s director of food service.

I cook all the meals for my family. Before I did, they ate SOOOO much meat. I switched over to plant-based meatless without telling them, and they didn't notice.