View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 6:54 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Atlantic Highways Thread

This is meant to be an informative thread on the highway traffic situations in our region. I will be using three different measures for the maps, but only 2 for the tables. For the maps, I'll be using ADT (Average Daily Traffic which can show how high or low traffic can go with seasonal variations depending on when the count was taken), AADT (Average Annual Daily Traffic which is adjusted to account for seasonal variations and shows the average volume of traffic per day over an entire year), and AADT/lane (Average Annual Daily Traffic per Lane - this is one I'm using as a partial level of service measure...please note that this is not meant to be a complete LOS analysis as these take into account many other things such as pavement condition, topography, %trucks, etc). I'm simply going to post the maps and tables and stay out of the political stuff, as there is an abundance in every region.

I'll start this one with 100-series highways, and I plan to eventually do Trunk Highways and possibly even Collectors, though I'm not sure about that last one yet.

All statistics were taken from the book: Traffic Volumes Primary Highway System 1999-2008 by the Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal. All maps were created in Google Maps.

This thread will also be open to people posting similar things for highways in New Brunswick, PEI, and Newfoundland, though I will only be tackling Nova Scotia. I also ask, for simplicity sake, that maps use the same legend I will be using so we can have easy comparisons across the board.

That's the information/disclaimer post out of the way. Please be patient as I'm going to start the next post "NS 100-series higways" ...now!