View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
There's nothing to be excited about in the super-tall realm. It looks like Wanda is it for the foreseeable future and that took over a decade. With One Chicago Square being knocked back to 977' I'm sure that area won't see another building even approaching 1,000' in the next 20-30 years. WPS at 844' was the last/best spot on the river for a super-tall and now that won't ever happen. 400 N. LSD is now under threat from Reilly and his demands etc. I'm sure a height reduction will also be in order after a closer look at the market yada, yada, yada.....Tribune Tower addition is still minimally 5 years out so who knows on that front. There seems to be an extreme lack of ambition to push the limits in Chicago and visionaries have all but abandoned the city. I don't buy into the rationalizations and justifications that others do about height doesn't matter and comparatively these buildings are still tall in relation to anything outside of NY or Asia. I want Chicago to be in league with NY and Asia which it once was as far as height and architectural prominence. Now your average building going up is some banal high rise that just sort of fits in rather than reshapes it surroundings.
This comment is quite melodramatic and prophetic

You do realize that 20 to 30 years ago we didn't even have much of Streeterville, LSE, the South Loop, West Loop, or River North built at all? The city has expanded rapidly, and we've had several supertalls(Pru2, 311 S Wacker(close), Franklin Center, Trump, Vista, and maybe a couple more soon). Step away from the ledge my friend. The end is not neigh

Others have already made quite salient points about how relative to our size we have already done an amazing job anyway, and our impact on the global level is not contingent on building more supertalls. Chicago is a top 10 city in terms of economic impact, and that isn't going to change anytime soon(unless we get Amazon, in which case maybe we get even higher )

Last edited by BonoboZill4; Oct 27, 2018 at 9:30 PM.