View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 12:36 AM
somewhere in-between

Sault Ste. Marie -

Here's an interesting one -

Lake Superior State University broke ground in 2018 on a new building to serve as the hub of its new Center for Freshwater Research & Education (CFRE). The "CFRE" is a rebranding and expansion of the school's existing Aquatic Research Laboratory (ARL). It was originally set to open in 2020, but that has been pushed to Fall 2021 (I suspect, no doubt, due to COVID-19 delays). It is a ~$13.2 million project, and it is located on the east side of Cloverland Electrical Cooperative’s St. Marys River hydroelectric plant. BTW, that historic hydropower plant building is one of the more interesting structures in the entire Great Lakes. I've stood next to it before, but never been inside.

You can read more about the new center and the groundbreaking here -

Quote:
Groundbreaking On Premier Upper Great Lakes Research And Education Center Is July 20
Lake Superior State University News
July 10, 2018
This article includes a rendering, but I think it is bit out of date -

Source: LSSU

Here are what I think to be the most current renderings. The full name of the facility is the "Theresa and Richard Barch Building, Center for Freshwater Research and Education" -

North

South

Source: LSSU Laker Log: Spring 2019

Here is a photo of construction progress from about three weeks ago -

Source: LinkedIn | Spence Brothers

There is a construction camera, too (here). Here's a screen shot from tonight -

Source: public.earthcam.net

Lastly, there is a Youtube video, from back in 2015. It looks like this was more visionary in nature, before the final design of the new building was worked out. Still interesting to watch though -

Video Link

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 12, 2021 at 9:02 PM.