View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I feel the frustration along with you guys but is it really a problem unique to Pittsburgh? I see similar complaints and discussions across many other cities development threads as well. It seems that in this country as long as there are at least a couple vocal neighborhood residents giving pushback projects can be stalled, downsized or killed pretty easily. I believe it has to do with single use zoning in the US?

Having been on these message boards for 18 years now I am thinking that the biggest change that's needed is comprehensive zoning law reform in most cities and areas.
The housing affordability crisis that is affecting most major metropolitan areas and leading to unprecedented homeless populations and increase in crime is the logical end result of all of this.
I think the younger millenial & gen Z generations are going to need a zoning law revolution to undue the mounting catastrophe. The path we are on is not sustainable for housing demand.
It's definitely not. A city with big NIMBY issues as well is Boston, and that has definitely not stopped it from becoming what it is over the course of the century. Someone ironically though, I feel like Pittsburgh is where Boston was 20 to 25 years ago in many ways.