View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 4:04 AM
True North

Your desire for better architecture for the city is commendable, but I wouldn't go so far to call those condo buildings ugly. The new one designed by Frank Gehry should be pretty good when it is completed. However, those recurrent incidents of exploding window panes and falling glasses do have pedestrians worried a bit.

Simply by reading your comments, I gather you are more bothered by modern architecture because it seemingly lacks a common vocabulary that older architectural style such as Greek and Roman architecture possess. Some modern architecture involves more engineering and technology than decorative motifs, and you don't like that which I totally understand. There is no consensus to what constitutes great modern architecture. We can talk about light, shadows, textures, form and proportions but there is not a definitive look to it.

On top of that, especially for condos, the perception of luxury life style more or less affects the design as well. It's nothing wrong to be old-school and not liking contemporary design. Modern stuff takes a bit of understanding in order to appreciate it. It is not pure visual which is what you are looking for.