View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
22,000SF of windowless retail in the basement and something called a "cart drop" at the 2nd parking level... seems like 170 N Green is targeting big box retail tenants, maybe even a grocery store.

Mariano's, Whole Foods, and Jewel are already in the area so it would probably be a specialty grocer. Maybe West Loop will finally get a Trader Joe's? Could also be Dom's Market. Plum Market is looking for a new space after getting kicked out of Wells St store.

Really if West Loop gets another grocery store, it should be further west. East part of Fulton Market doesn't have a huge concentration of residential, it's mostly office/hotel. The real donut hole for grocery is further west on Randolph, which is also where most of the residential growth is. I would love to see grocery in the Plumbers garage, or in one of the new Marquette apartment buildings around Union Park. You can't buy everything at Peoria Packing...
How the West Loop doesn't have a Trader Joe's or Aldi's is beyond me. I have complained about this since moving to Chicago in 2011. IMO, either one (or both) would be successful there. I would reduce my shooping at Jewel/Mariano's in favor of either. I do agree though that 170 N Green might not be the best spot for it.

Also, don't forget that farther west in the West Loop puts you closer to the Target on Jackson. While not a true grocery store, I think it serves the basics for quite a few residents in the area.